As some of you may have noticed, I changed the about page on my site and my LinkedIn profile. My wife and I left beautiful Amelia Island, FL to start a new adventure in October with Thrive HDS in Indianapolis as their VP of Engineering. Ok, my timing is lousy. Though Amelia Island does cool off in December and January, it is still warmer than Indianapolis.
Having been in the position at Thrive for a little over 6 weeks, I can tell you I am excited and scared. I am excited to have an opportunity to work in an industry with as much potential impact as the healthcare industry. Name another industry that impacts everyone in a positive and negative way as healthcare. Though they have been good to me, banking and title insurance just don’t have the same impact.
There are a number of reasons why I am excited to work at Thrive HDS.
- The management team seems to have the right skills to speed along the process of spinning off Thrive HDS from IHIE.
- The folks at Thrive are passionate about the mission of helping people.
- Getting into Healthcare hopefully will carry me into my retirement years.
- Through technology, helping people improve the quality of their lives.
- It’s good to get back to a small company. Not perfect, but you can usually see the bus coming that is going to hit you.
At first blush, I am scared by the size and magnitude of learning a whole new industry. There are more acronyms than you can possibly imagine. The size of the industry (1/6th of the US economy) is huge, with a number of competitive forces at play that seem to work against each other. I guess I will have to just focus on eating the elephant one bite at a time.
I am looking forward to getting back to developing software products again. The challenge of developing software products for healthcare is something I am ready to take on.
More to come.
Thanks for coming in today.